Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Split Pea Soup
- 2 cups split peas, uncooked
- 5 cups water, or more if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or more if needed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Rinse and drain split peas.
- Combine dried split peas, water, bay leaf, and salt in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the split peas from sticking, and to make sure that there is enough water. Add water if the soup looks like it is becoming too dry.
- Add carrots, celery, onions and seasonings.
- Continue to simmer for 30 minutes or longer. Add more water if a thinner soup is desired. Overcooking cannot hurt this soup as long as it is stirred to prevent sticking.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.