Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Roast Chicken with Spiced Mushroom and Vegetable Stuffing
- Roast Chicken5 lb roasting chicken
- 3/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- Spiced Mushroom and Vegetable Stuffing1 med onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs butter, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander, divided
- 1 cup parsnips, coarsely grated
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted and finely chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs, lightly toasted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Rinse the chicken under cold running water; drain. Salt and pepper inside of chicken cavity.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter and add 1/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon, cumin, and coriander. Brush mixture over chicken.
- Tie up legs securely with butcher's string, set chicken on rack set into roasting pan and add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Roast for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in onion and saut for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in remaining spices and let them cook for about 1 minute, until aroma is released. Add the mushrooms, parsnips, and carrots; cook until all vegetables are tender and any excess liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in hazelnuts, bread crumbs, and remaining chicken broth; add salt and pepper. Place in ceramic or glass casserole dish.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Place stuffing in oven and continue to roast chicken for another hour and 15 minutes, until meat thermometer registers 180F when inserted between thigh and breast. Check the roasting pan periodically as the chicken cooks; if pan becomes dry, add water, several tablespoons at a time. When done, remove the chicken to a serving platter and cover with foil.
- Skim the fat off the juices left in roasting pan. Set pan over low heat on hot plate, add sherry, stirring to scrape off any bits of chicken stuck to the pan. Stir in flour to slightly thicken; simmering for about 1 minute.
- Pour the pan juices into a gravy boat or small pitcher. Uncover chicken; remove string from legs; carve and serve with gravy and stuffing.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.