Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Neapolitan Polenta Pie
- 12 oz nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup polenta or yellow corn grits
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups bottled pizza sauce
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/4 lb field mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbs capers
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 Tbs grated Parmesan*
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- The day before serving, prepare “cheese” by mixing yogurt with 1/2 tsp (3g) salt and pouring into a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Squeeze cloth gently around yogurt and place over bowl. Refrigerate and let drain at least 10 hours. Carefully remove cheesecloth from ball of cheese.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan. Stir polenta and 1/2 tsp (2g) salt into boiling water with a wire whisk. Reduce heat, cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until thick but soft. Pour polenta into a 9-inch (23cm) nonstick pie plate and spread evenly over bottom and up sides of dish.
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C). Spread pizza sauce over polenta. Arrange vegetables over sauce, then top with yogurt cheese, capers and Parmesan cheese. Bake 25 minutes or until pie is bubbling hot throughout. Remove pie from oven and top with basil.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.