Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Juniper and Cedar Roasted Lamb with Button Mushrooms and Watercress
- 1 cedar oven roasting plank, soaked according to manufacturer’s directions
- 3 lbs lamb boneless leg, trimmed, butterflied, pounded to even thickness, rolled, and tied
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbs dried juniper berries, ground
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups button mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 bunch watercress, stems removed
- Sprinkle lamb with salt, pepper, and ground juniper berries. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown meat on all sides. Place cedar plank (make sure it has been soaked) on baking sheet. Place meat on cedar plank and roast in 400F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or to desired degree of doneness.
- Use meat thermometer to test lamb, 145F for medium-rare, 160F for medium, or 170F for well. Remove from oven, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Internal temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter.
- Saut shallots for 3 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
- Cook additional 3 minutes until lightly browned. Slice and arrange lamb on plank or platter. Top with mushrooms and watercress.
Copyright 2020 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2020.