Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Frise Salad with Walnuts and Pears
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup walnuts, halved
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and cut in quarters
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 whole peppercorns
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 cups ruby port
- 8 cups frise
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine the peppers and salt with the maple syrup. Over medium heat, simmer for 5 minutes. Add and thoroughly coat the nuts. Transfer the nuts to a wire rack, allowing them to dry individually and drain slightly.
- In another medium-size saucepan, put the pears, cloves, peppercorns, brown sugar and port. Over medium heat, poach the pears until tender, but not mushy. Remove the pears and set aside at room temperature.
- Wash and dry frise. Make dressing with remaining five ingredients. Toss salad. Arrange walnuts and pears on the greens.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.