Penn Herb Wellness Guide
- 2 lbs fresh okra, 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Add sliced okra to a large bowl. Pour in buttermilk and mix well until okra is covered well.
- Preheat oil to 350F. Place cast iron skillet on high and wait for the oil to start rolling.
- In a separate bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, salt, flour, and cornmeal. Mix well. Then pour flour mixture over okra and toss to coat.
- Fry in batches. Place enough okra in the hot oil so that it creates a single layer. Fry until golden brown. This will take 23 minutes.
- Okra should be vibrant green where you can see it under the breading. Drain on paper towels.
Copyright 2020 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2020.