Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Festive Rice Stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups Wehani or rice blend
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbs medium curry powder
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple
- Rinse rice and let drain. Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice, cover, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Transfer the cooked rice to a strainer and rinse quickly with cold water to stop cooking. Drain the rice thoroughly, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- As the rice cooks, heat oil in a small skillet until hot but not smoking. Add onion and toss to coat with oil. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium. Add garlic, celery, mushrooms, and curry. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in apple juice and cook just to blend.
- Add the mushroom mixture along with the raisins and apples to the rice and stir to combine. Reheat stuffing in a 350F (175C) oven for 20 minutes before serving.
- Serve the rice as a side dish or as a stuffing for bell peppers, prebaked winter squash, or eggplant.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.