Penn Herb Wellness Guide
- 3 medium tomatoes, very ripe,
- 1 bunch (70g) fresh basil, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin is best
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 slices Italian bread, preferably a coarse, country style bread, cut into thick slices
- Salt and pepper to taste (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- Chop tomatoes into small pieces.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes; combine with chopped basil and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile prepare the toasts. Peel the garlic cloves and cut in half. Toast the bread either under the broiler, over a grill, or in the toaster.
- Rub the toasts with the cut side of the garlic, so that each piece is fragrant with garlic.
- Place about 3 Tbsp (40g) of the tomato mixture on each toast. (The amount will vary depending on how big the tomatoes are and personal taste.)
- Place all six slices of the bruschetta on a serving dish and serve as an appetizer.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.