Penn Herb Wellness Guide
- 4 large beets, fresh
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Scrub beets to remove any dirt or soil. (Do not peel, as the peel slides off easily after cooking).
- Place beets and enough water to cover them in a medium-sized saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 45 minutes, until beets are tender, but not mushy.
- Drain and rinse with cold water. Hold each beet under cold running water and slip the skin off. Slice crosswise into 1/4-inch (1/2cm) slices, and place in a shallow bowl.
- Slice onions into rings. Add to beets.
- Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and pour over beets and onions. Gently mix to combine.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.