Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Baked Chili with Beef and Pinto Beans
- 1 1/2 cups pinto beans, dried
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb round steak, trimmed, cut into 1inch (3cm) pieces
- 2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 cups tomato sauce, (one 29-ounce can)
- Preheat oven to 325F (165C).
- Rinse beans thoroughly and sort through to remove dirt. In a large Dutch oven, cover beans and water, and heat to a boil. Boil for two minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and bake in oven until beef and beans are tender, about 4 hours. Remove from oven and stir.
- Serve with light sour cream and chopped green onions.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.