Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Roast Chicken with Apple Stuffing and Cider Sauce
- 3 1/2 lbs whole roasting chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- Apple Stuffing1 Tbs butter
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1 onion, 1/2 finely diced and 1/2 reserved
- 2 Tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cider Sauce2 Tbs flour
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- Make stuffing by melting butter in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place apple pieces in skillet; saut.
- Add onion diced pieces; saut until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in tarragon, breadcrumbs, and apple cider. Add salt and pepper; stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Loosen skin on breasts and thighs of chicken by sliding fingers under skin. Push stuffing under skin, distributing evenly.
- Tie legs with six-inch piece of butcher twine. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon black pepper on inside and outside of chicken.
- Place onion half inside the cavity of chicken. Place chicken in roasting pan; bake for 1 hour.
- To make sauce, transfer chicken from roasting pan to cutting board.
- Pour pan drippings into sauce pan, scraping bits from bottom of pan. Whisk in flour and warm over medium heat.
- Gradually whisk in apple cider and chicken broth. Bring to simmer; cook over very low heat for 3 minutes. Stir in tarragon and apple cider vinegar.
- Carve chicken; arrange on serving plate. Pour sauce into pitcher and pass separately.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.