Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Grilled Lamb Lollipops with Twice-Baked Colorado Russet Potatoes and Fresh California Figs
- Lamb Lollipops2 racks lamb, trimmed of excess fat, frenched (about 2 pounds each)
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs rosemary, chopped
- Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- Yogurt Dipping Sauce1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- Twice-Baked Colorado Russet Potatoes6 large Colorado russet baking potatoes (10 to 12 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 Tbs chives, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup asparagus, steamed and chopped
- Fresh California Figs1 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs chopped parsley
- 12 fresh California figs, quartered lengthwise
- Lamb LollipopsCut the rack into chops with one bone per chop. Place each chop between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using the heel of your hand or a wooden mallet, gently pound each chop until it is approximately doubled in size.
- Rub the rib chops with oil and rosemary, season with salt and cracked pepper, and cover.
- Loosely cover the bones with aluminum foil to prevent them from scorching. Allow lamb to set covered at room temperature, approximately 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Yogurt Dipping SauceCombine yogurt and mint in a small mixing bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and allow to blend for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Twice-Baked Colorado Russet PotatoesPierce tops of potatoes several times. Roast at 400F until center is tender when pierced with a fork, approximately 70 to 90 minutes. Remove from oven; cool potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Cut a thin slice from the top of the potato; with a small spoon, scrape the center into a large mixing bowl, being careful to not tear the “bowl” of the potato.
- Combine the potato flesh, butter, chives, salt and pepper to taste until incorporated. Gently fold in the chopped asparagus.
- Refill each of the potato shells with this mixture and wrap each one in aluminum foil.
- Fresh California FigsCombine lemon juice, olive oil, and parsley. Cover the figs with the dressing and refrigerate, covered.
- Prepare the grill. Place potatoes on a hot area of the rack, away from direct flame, approximately 5 minutes before grilling the lamb.
- Place rib chops on direct medium heat and grill to perfection, about 2 minutes per side. Remove foil.
- Remove potatoes from foil and “fluff” with a gentle squeeze. Serve two rib chops with a scoop of yogurt dipping sauce and garnish each plate with figs.
Copyright 2019 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2019.