Penn Herb Wellness Guide
- 1 eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch (0.5cm) thick
- 5 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch (0.5cm) thick
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/4-inch (0.5cm) thick
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or Parmesan-style soy cheese*
- Preheat oven to 400F (205C). Lightly grease a 9x13-inch (23 X33 cm) casserole with olive oil. Layer half of the eggplant, tomatoes, onion, olive oil, salt, thyme and garlic in the casserole. Repeat once. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil or oven-proof lid.
- Bake 50 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle top with cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.