Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Curried Shrimp with Coconut Rice
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or white rice, dry
- 1 14 ounce can lite coconut milk, divided
- 2 Tbs canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red pepper, sliced into thin strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbs curry powder, divided
- 1 10 ounce bag prewashed baby spinach (about 6 packed cups)
- 1 lb shrimp, (16-20 count), (shelled and deveined)
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the rice as directed, using 3/4 cup of the coconut milk in place of 3/4 cup of water. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the curry powder, and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Return the skillet to the stove and heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon of curry powder, and cook about 2 minutes per side. Return the vegetables to the pan. Add the remaining 1 cup of coconut milk, combine, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over the coconut rice.
Copyright 2020 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2020.