Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Best Rice Pilaf
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup vermicelli, noodles, uncooked, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth, (or vegetable broth if desired)
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add broken vermicelli and saut until pasta is brown.
- Rinse rice in cold water. Drain. Repeat this two more times. Add onion and rice to the skillet and cook, stirring over medium to high heat until rice is just beginning to brown. Reduce heat to simmer.
- If desired, add chopped mushrooms, celery, carrots or peas, or any other vegetable that is on hand.
- Add chicken broth to rice mixture and cover. Do not stir! Cook, covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 10 minutes more.
- Fluff with a fork and serve piping hot.
Copyright 2019 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2019.