Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Basil and Five-Spice Chicken Legs with Cantaloupe Salad
- Basil and Five-Spice Chicken Legs4 chicken leg quarters
- 16 leaves basil
- 1 Tbs five-spice powder
- 1 stalk lemon grass, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 3 Tbs water
- Cantaloupe Salad1/2 cantaloupe, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 leaves basil, sliced
- Lift the skin on the chicken leg quarters and press four basil leaves under each. Place chicken into resealable plastic bags; set aside.
- In a blender, mix five-spice powder, lemon grass, soy sauce, vegetable oil, and water; puree until smooth.
- Pour marinade into the plastic bags with the chicken; seal and shake until chicken is coated. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, prepare coals for grill or preheat gas grill. Place chicken on grill over medium heat and cook, turning, until firm and cooked thoroughly, about 10 - 15 minutes per side.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the salad by whisking together the five-spice powder, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Arrange cantaloupe slices on serving plates or platter. Drizzle salad dressing over cantaloupe; sprinkle with slivered basil leaves. Place chicken legs next to salad to serve.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.