Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Potato Torta with Caramelized Onions and Spinach
- 4 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbs butter (or margarine)
- 4 russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook an additional 15 minutes, until onions are lightly browned and caramelized.
- Stir in spinach and nutmeg. Cook another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a heavy, oven-safe skillet, melt 3 Tbs butter (or margarine) with 1 Tbs olive oil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and place a layer of potatoes in the pan. Layer in over-lapping circles. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with spinach and onion mixture. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Add shredded cheese on top of the filling mixture.
- Use the remaining potato slices to add another overlapping circle layer. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 1 Tbs olive oil.
- Return to a 400F oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit about 3 minutes.
- Invert the torta onto a large serving platter and cut into wedges to serve.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.