Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Lightened-Up Potato Latkes
- 2 1/2 cups russet potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed, and shredded
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1/3 cup peeled and shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 Tbs fresh, chopped chives
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil, divided
- Immediately place shredded potatoes in a bowl of ice water to keep potatoes from discoloring; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the onion, carrot, flour, chives, salt, pepper, egg, and egg white in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Drain the potatoes and squeeze out moisture; stir into egg mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Spoon about 1/4 cup of potato mixture for each pancake into skillet, cooking four at a time.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, flattening with the back of a spatula and cooking until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining oil and potatoes.
- Serve immediately with chunky applesauce and low-fat sour cream.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.