Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Hunan Hot and Sour Soup
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp gingerroot, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs tamari
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb firm tofu, sliced into 1/4x1-inch (0.5x2.5cm) strips
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs mirin (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp (45mL) cold water
- 1 egg, well-beaten (optional)
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring stock to a boil over medium-high heat in a 21/2- to 3-quart (1.9 to 2.9L) saucepan. Add garlic, ginger, black pepper, and tamari. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms, tofu, cabbage, carrots, peas and corn. Stir and let simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in vinegar, mirin and cornstarch mixture. Continue cooking until soup is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove soup from heat. Slowly pour in beaten egg and stir. Garnish with green onions or cilantro and serve immediately.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.