Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Cranberry Apple Walnut Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tsp orange zest (grated peel)
- 12 dates, pitted and chopped
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or concentrated fruit sweetener
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 cups grated apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly oil muffin tins or line with paper muffin liners.
- Put flours, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves in a large mixing bowl; stir and set aside.
- Place dates and hot water in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add juice, yogurt, bananas, syrup, oil and vanilla extract; blend again. Add eggs and cranberries and pulse for a few seconds, just long enough to break up cranberries.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mixture. Fold in grated apple and walnuts and gently mix together using a minimum number of strokes.
- Fill muffin cups to top with batter. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.