Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Soup1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb package, frozen whole kernel sweet corn
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 Tbs dried oregano
- 1 Tbs dried cilantro (or 1/4 cup fresh)
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Garnish Cooking spray, as needed
- 1 cup baked whole wheat tortilla strips (or tortilla chips)
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup guacamole (or sour cream)
- Preheat large soup pot. Salt and pepper chicken.
- Drizzle pot with olive oil. Add chicken to pot and brown.
- Add onions, green bell peppers, and garlic. Saut until translucent.
- Add black beans, corn, tomatoes, chicken stock, and spices.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 2030 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, cut whole wheat or flour tortillas into strips.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the strips on the baking sheet. Spray the tops of the strips with the cooking spray.
- Bake at 350F until crisp. You can also deep fry to get them extra crispy.
- Serve soup topped with crisp tortilla strips, cheese, and guacamole or sour cream.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.