Penn Herb Wellness Guide
- Sauce1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
- 2 Tbs light sour cream
- 1 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 1 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed, crumbled between the fingers
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Marinade1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled between the fingers
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- pinch of salt
- 8 ( 1/2 -inch thick) lengthwise slices rotisserie chicken breast, skin removed
- Sandwiches4 pita rounds (each about 6 inches across)
- 4 thin slices red onion, divided into rings
- 1 cup torn romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- SauceStir the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- MarinadeCombine all the ingredients except the chicken in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Stir together. Place the chicken slices flat in the skillet and spoon the marinade over the top.
- SandwichesHeat the skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken slices until they just begin to brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Carefully turn them over and brown lightly on the other side, about 2 minutes longer. Remove to a plate. Stack the pita rounds, wrap in damp paper towels, and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Do not split the pitas. Distribute the chicken slices among the pita rounds. Top with onion, lettuce, and tomato, dividing evenly among the rounds. Spoon the sauce on top, fold over, and serve.
Cooking Tip: Let the kids stir the sauce and put the toppings on the sandwiches.
Variation: The sauce for this sandwich is my version of the classic Greek sauce tzatziki. I find the cucumber seeds refreshing, but you can certainly remove them if you prefer. Double the recipe if you like a lot of sauce.
Variation: Substitute a generous 1/3 cup of bottled Greek salad dressing for the marinade if you are truly pressed for time.
Variation: Simply cut the sandwich recipe in half for two of you. Use the extra sauce as a dip.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using non-fat plain yogurt and low-fat sour cream.
Copyright 2019 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2019.