Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Caldo Verdi Soup
- 1 lb Yukon Gold or white potatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 oz turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 cups chopped, fresh kale
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel and cut into -inch cubes. Set aside 1 cup of the potatoes to add in later.
- Place remaining potatoes in a large saucepan and add cold water to cover. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Add broth and mash until smooth; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add onion, garlic, and kielbasa. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the potato and broth mixture and the remaining 1 cup diced potatoes. Heat to boiling and then reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale, cover and cook until tender for about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.