Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Broiled Baby Zucchini Boats with Parmesan Crust
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 small zucchini and/or summer squash (slender ones, about 6 inches long), halved lengthwise
- freshly ground black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the broiler to 500F and move the oven rack to the highest position.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or a frying pan with an ovenproof handle. Add the garlic, and saut over medium-low heat for only about 30 seconds, so it cooks but does not brown. (Browning garlic makes it bitter.)
- Place the zucchini halves facedown in the pan and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high, and saut for about 5 minutes, or until the zucchini are just slightly tender when poked gently with a fork.
- Turn over the zucchini, and sprinkle with Parmesan. (Don't worry if the Parmesan spills into the pan. It will melt into additional delicious crust.) Cook for just a minute or two more, then transfer the skillet to the broiler.
- Broil for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Serve hot, and be sure to scrape up the spilled Parmesan from the bottom of the pan.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.