Penn Herb Wellness Guide
- 6 medium leeks
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/4 cup horseradish sauce, (prepared, cream style)
- Wash leeks thoroughly by soaking in cold water for 10 minutes. Rinse leeks and cut into 3-inch (8cm) pieces, using both the green and white parts. Run more cold water over the cut leeks to remove all dirt and grit.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch (30cm) skillet. Place leeks in skillet and cook, uncovered, turning occasionally for about 15 minutes. The leeks should turn slightly brown and tender.
- Pour water into skillet and turn heat to low. Add salt and cover. Continue to simmer covered for 20 minutes, until leeks are tender.
- Remove leeks from pan, and garnish with a Tbsp (18g) of the prepared horseradish sauce.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.