Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Braised Lamb Shanks
- 4 lamb shanks
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 Tbs lemon pepper, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes and juice, broken up
- 1/2 cup red wine (substitute chicken broth if desired)
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp allspice, ground
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In 13 x 9-inch baking dish with meat rack, arrange shanks. Make slits in shank meat. Thinly slice two garlic cloves and insert into slits.
- Season all sides of shanks with 2 tsp lemon pepper and salt. Roast in 325F oven for 1 hour.
- In 2-quart saucepan with cover, heat oil. Saut onion, bell pepper, and two finely chopped garlic cloves for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, wine or broth, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sugar, oregano, 1 tsp lemon pepper, coriander, allspice, and paprika. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes; set aside.
- Remove cooked lamb shanks and rack from pan. Wipe out pan and return shanks to pan.
- Pour on sauce, cover, and cook 1 1/2 to 2 additional hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve with rice or pasta.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.