Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Beef Stew with Red Wine
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs beef top round, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 3 carrots, peeled, and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb small red potatoes
- 3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In an 8-quart saucepan or pot, over medium-high heat, heat 1 teaspoons of the oil.
- Add half the beef and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Heat another 1 teaspoons oil and brown remaining beef cubes. Add to already browned beef.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and stir in the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, parsnip, mushrooms, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Cut each into eight pieces.
- Add potatoes, beef and any accumulated juices, broth, wine, and tomato paste to the pot.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the beef and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour and 35 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper
Copyright 2020 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2020.