Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Beef Barley Soup
- 3 lbs beef shank cross cuts, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen French-cut green beans
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add beef, 5 cups water, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove cross cuts. Cut beef from bones; cut beef into 3/4-inch pieces. Skim fat from soup. Stir in beef and barley; continue cooking, covered, 50 to 60 minutes or until beef and barley are tender.
- Add green beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Copyright 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.