Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Baked Tomatoes with Olives
- 1 1/4 cup warm cooked spelt or farro
- 3/4 cup sliced olives
- 1/3 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded basil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs plain breadcrumbs
- 4 (8 oz.) firm, ripe tomatoes
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine spelt, 1/2 cup olives, 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, basil, vinegar and salt. Season with pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs with remaining olives and asiago cheese. Set aside. Prepare tomatoes for stuffing by cutting 1/4-inch off of the tops of each. Using a small spoon or melonballer, scoop out seeds and center flesh to make each into a hollow cup (leaving at least 1/4-inch of flesh around sides and bottom). Fill each tomato with 1/2 cup (approximately 3 ounces) of spelt mixture.
- Top with breadcrumb mixture and place on a high sided baking pan. Broil under medium-high heat for 45-90 seconds until golden brown. Serve warm or room temperature.
Copyright 2019 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2019.