Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Baked Fish Sticks or Chicken Bits
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 1 lb white fish fillets (flounder, cod, etc.) or 1 pound (455g) chicken breast fillets
- 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup 2-percent low-fat milk
- Breading mix:1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F (205C). Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking oil, then coat with canola oil.
- Rinse fish or chicken fillets. Pat dry with a paper towel. Lightly sprinkle salt on both sides of fillets.
- For fish sticks, carefully cut fillets into long strips. For chicken bits, cut fillets into 1-inch (2.5cm) squares.
- Place breading mix and grated lemon rind into a small paper bag. On a pie plate, combine egg, egg white and milk, then beat with a whisk or fork until well blended.
- Dip fish or chicken pieces into the egg and milk mixture. Place fish or chicken pieces, a few at a time, into bag with breading mix and grated lemon rind, hold bag closed and shake well.
- Place coated fish sticks or chicken bits on baking dish. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.