Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Asian Brandade Cod Cakes
- Cod10 oz fresh cod
- 1 1/2 Tbs kosher salt
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 cups whole milk
- Brandade1 lb russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups potato flour, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 bunch scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
- Garlic reserved from cod marinade
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- Spicy Sesame Mayo1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tbs Sriracha sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp grated lime zest
- Salt and pepper
- CodIn an 8- or 9-inch pan, place cod, salt, ginger, curry powder, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Crush peppercorns and coriander with mortar and pestle or with side of knife; add to cod.
- Pour enough milk over cod to completely cover it. Cover bowl or pan and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- BrandadeScrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel potatoes and cut into 3-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover completely.
- Heat to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, lift cod from marinade and set aside. Pour marinade into medium saucepan and heat just to simmer—do not boil.
- Add cod and poach until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully lift cod and garlic cloves out of marinade. Flake cod with fingers or fork; mash garlic.
- Drain potatoes well, then turn into large bowl and mash. Blend in cod flakes, garlic, scallions, one of the eggs, and 2 tablespoons of the potato flour; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Portion potato mixture into patties, about 1/2 cup each, and flatten until they are around 1 inch thick.
- Beat the remaining eggs. Bread patties by dipping first into potato flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/2 inch of olive oil. Cook patties in small batches until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, turn and brown on second side.
- Spicy Sesame MayoCombine all ingredients.
Copyright 2019 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2019.