Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Asian Brandade Cod Cakes
- Cod10 oz fresh cod
- 1 1/2 Tbs kosher salt
- 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3 cups whole milk
- Brandade1 lb russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups potato flour, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1/2 bunch scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
- Garlic reserved from cod marinade
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- Spicy Sesame Mayo1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tbs Sriracha sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3/4 tsp grated lime zest
- Salt and pepper
- CodIn an 8- or 9-inch pan, place cod, salt, ginger, curry powder, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Crush peppercorns and coriander with mortar and pestle or with side of knife; add to cod.
- Pour enough milk over cod to completely cover it. Cover bowl or pan and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- BrandadeScrub potatoes with vegetable brush under cold running water. Peel potatoes and cut into 3-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes in large saucepan and add cold water to cover completely.
- Heat to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, lift cod from marinade and set aside. Pour marinade into medium saucepan and heat just to simmer—do not boil.
- Add cod and poach until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully lift cod and garlic cloves out of marinade. Flake cod with fingers or fork; mash garlic.
- Drain potatoes well, then turn into large bowl and mash. Blend in cod flakes, garlic, scallions, one of the eggs, and 2 tablespoons of the potato flour; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Portion potato mixture into patties, about 1/2 cup each, and flatten until they are around 1 inch thick.
- Beat the remaining eggs. Bread patties by dipping first into potato flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/2 inch of olive oil. Cook patties in small batches until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, turn and brown on second side.
- Spicy Sesame MayoCombine all ingredients.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.