Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Angel Food Cake
- 12 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, optional
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Continue to beat egg mixture, adding granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time. Be sure each sugar addition is dissolved before adding the next.
- Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beat in vanilla and almond extract, if desired.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift powdered sugar, flour, and salt together twice. Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over egg whites. Fold gently just until flour disappears. Do not stir. Repeat sifting and folding in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10 x 4-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula to release any air pockets. Bake in center of 375F oven until top springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Invert cake in pan, with tube resting on a bottle. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- To remove cake from pan, run a thin knife between side of pan and cooled cake to loosen all around, taking care not to tear the cake. Repeat, running knife between center tube and cake.
Copyright 2021 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2021.