Penn Herb Wellness Guide
7 Layer Taco Bean Dip
- Refried Beans Layer1/2 lb dried pinto beans
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Cheese Layer1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Sour Cream Layer1 6 oz container sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Guacamole Layer4 large avocados
- 2 Tbs freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Pico de Gallo Layer4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbs freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Last Two Layers6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sliced olives
- 2 small cans green chiles, drained (optional)
- 4 fresh jalapeos, seeded and chopped (optional)
- Soak beans overnight.
- Add beans and water to a saucepan.
- Add onions, garlic, dried oregano, dried cilantro, cumin, coriander, and kosher salt. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until very tender.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher or use a submersible blender.
- Add the warm bean layer to the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch dish.
- Add the shredded cheese on top of the beans.
- If you are making this dip spicy, add the optional jalapeos and green chilies.
- Add sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin to a bowl. Mix well, then spread on top of the cheese layer in the dish.
- Add the avocados, cilantro, lime juice, and garlic to a bowl. Mash the avocados with a fork and mix well. Spread this layer on top of the sour cream layer.
- Mix tomatoes, cilantro, and kosher salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well and spread on top of guacamole layer.
- Top pico de gallo layer with the chopped green onions.
- Layer sliced olives on top of the chopped green onions.
Copyright 2019 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2019.