Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Chicken and Veggie Chowder
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, diced
- 1/2 lb fresh broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces (or frozen)
- 1/2 lb fresh cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces (or frozen)
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp thyme, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbs flour
- 2 Tbs water
- Place vegetables in a large stockpot. Top with chicken. Pour water and chicken stock into the pot. Add salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken is fully cooked and vegetables are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and let cool.
- Using an immersion blender or potato masher, coarsely mash most of the vegetables. (You want a somewhat creamy consistency, but still keep some bigger chunks of vegetables.) Stir in the milk.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour in 2 Tbs water until fully dissolved. Bring the soup to a boil and slowly pour in the flour mixture, stirring constantly. Let soup boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Dice or shred chicken and add back to the pot. Stir until heated through. Re-season with salt, pepper, and thyme to taste, if desired.
Copyright 2023 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2023.