Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 cups cubed butternut squash (about 1/2 of a medium squash)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Optional Garnishes Sliced green onions
- Pita chips
- Additional curry powder
- Sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Add onions and carrots. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash cubes and apple cubes. Pour in chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes until squash is tender.
- Mash with a potato masher, process with an immersion blender, or blend in a food processor for a thinner consistency. Stir in remaining ingredients until combined. Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired.
Copyright 2020 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2020.