Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Apple Spice Bars
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats (old-fashioned or quick-cooking)
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 2 cups peeled apple cubes (green apples work best, but any kind is fine)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Powdered sugar for garnish, optional
- Beat the butter with the sugars until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, minus the apples, walnuts, and lemon juice. Stir well and add to the mixing bowl. Beat just until combined.
- Combine the apples and walnuts and toss with the lemon juice.
- Fold the apple-walnut mixture into the mixing bowl. Spread into a greased 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and cut into bars. Dust bars with powdered sugar, if desired.
Copyright 2020 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2020.