Penn Herb Wellness Guide
- Crust1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz cold butter, sliced
- 3 Tbs apple brandy (or replace with water)
- Filling4 apples, sliced and cored (Macintosh apples work well)
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 tsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Topping Egg wash for crust
- 3 Tbs apple jelly
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare the dough in the food processor with the dough blade or by hand with a pastry knife or fork.
- First add the flour, sugar, and salt and mix or pulse to combine. Add the sliced butter, and cut in or pulse until the dough is grainy.
- Add the brandy a little bit at a time until the dough comes together. Place the dough in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the apples to a large mixing bowl. Add the orange zest and pour the orange juice over the apples. Add the brown sugar and salt; toss the apples well.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out. Press the dough out into a circle and then cover with plastic wrap. Roll the dough out into an even layer—about 1/8 inch thick.
- Arrange the apples in concentric circles around the dough. Fold the dough up over the apples. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash for a beautiful golden brown color.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are very tender.
- While galette is warm, gently brush apple jelly on top of the apples with a pastry brush. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright 2020 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2020.