Penn Herb Wellness Guide
Greek Salad with Pork
- 1 1/4 lbs pork loin cutlets, 1/8-inch thick (20 ounces)
- 1 6 oz package fresh baby spinach, or mixed salad greens (8 cups)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 1/2 tsp Greek seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- black pepper, freshly ground (optional)
- Creamy Greek-Style Dressing1/2 cup plain yogurt, low-fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream, nonfat
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 3-4 Tbs milk, nonfat
- Prepare salad dressing: Stir together yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic and oregano in small bowl until well combined. Stir in enough milk to desired consistency. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Place spinach, tomatoes, cucumber and onion in very large salad bowl. Gently toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate while preparing pork.
- Combine Greek seasoning and salt; sprinkle and rub evenly over pork. Cook half of the cutlets over medium-high heat in large skillet coated with nonstick cooking for 2-3 minutes or until tender.* Transfer cutlets to cutting board. Remove skillet from heat and recoat with cooking spray. Cook remaining cutlets. Cut cutlets crosswise in half.
- To serve, divide spinach mixture among 4 plates. Arrange 1/4 of pork on each salad. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with black pepper, if desired. Serve with remaining dressing.
Ingredient Note: Look in the spice section of the supermarket for a pre-blended Greek seasoning blend. If unavailable, substitute 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/8 teaspoon onion powder and 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt for the 2 1/2 teaspoons Greek seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
Cooking Tip: To cook cutlets in a countertop grill with lid, preheat grill according to manufacture's directions. Sprinkle and rub Greek seasoning-salt mixture over both sides of cutlets. Place cutlets on grill; close lid. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Cut cutlets crosswise in half and arrange on top of salads.
Serving Suggestion: Serve pita wedges and mixed olives as easy side accompaniments to complete the meal.
Copyright 2019 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2019.